CFO – Semaine Internationale de l’Ostéopathie – 17 au 23 Avril 2016
Research links showing a sample of evidence for the effectiveness of osteopathic treatment for back pain.
Viola M. Frymann Dies At 94
January 26, 2016
Dr. Viola Frymann was a renowned osteopath and visionary. Her legacy lives on through her many patients and the Center for Children in California that continues to be a world class treatment facility. For more information on her life and work see osteopathiccenter.org/viola-frymann/
Osteopathy at the 2016 Brazilian Olympics
Considering the fact that during the London 2012 Olympic Games osteopaths were included in health services for the first time, the RBrO (Brazilian Register of Osteopaths) met in November 2012 with representatives of the General Osteopathic Council – UK GOsC and established the Brazilian Osteopathic Committee for Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Canadian Federation of Osteopaths
Founded in 2003, the Canadian Federation of Osteopaths (CFO) is the official national association for Osteopaths*. Its membership base consists of established provincial associations. Individual osteopathic practitioners are not members in the CFO, their voice and interests are represented by the respective provincial body.
In turn the CFO is a member of the Osteopathic International Allliance (OIA), a world wide alliance of national governing bodies and associations that have come together with the common goal of osteopathic unity and high quality osteopathic healthcare.
The OIA advances the philosophy and practice of osteopathic medicine and osteopathy worldwide” (www.oialliance.org)
- To provide support to the provincial associations
- To promote osteopathy as a form of complementary healthcare.
- To support the profession of Osteopathy
- To represent provincial and territorial Osteopathic associations in Canada
- To uphold membership standards which meet or exceed benchmarks of education as detailed by the
World Health Organization (WHO) 2010 Benchmarks for Training in Osteopathy.
- To establish and maintain positive relationships with other associations in countries where osteopathy is practiced.
- To be a reliable source for information regarding the practice of manual osteopathy in Canada.
- To maintain positive efforts towards national and international unity of the two streams of osteopathy.
*Osteopath: Internationally, the term Osteopath is applied to manual osteopathy, while the medical stream uses Osteopathic Physician.